OHH News

Posted on September 10th, 2019
Atrial fibrillation, or AFib is an irregular heartbeat caused by confused and disorganized electrical signals in the heart. It’s estimated that 2.7 million Americans are living with AFib, and many may not realize it.  The irregular heart rhythm can increase risk of other conditions, especially if it’s left untreated. Your heart is the engine of your body, and when the engine isn’t working... Read More
Posted on September 1st, 2019
If you’ve been dealing with fainting spells, dizziness, or other symptoms that may come from a heart arrhythmia, you might need an implantable loop recorder. If other tests like an in-office ECG and a Holter monitor haven’t... Read More
Posted on August 20th, 2019
You can see some veins on yourself or other people pretty easily, but the visible blue veins under the skin are only superficial veins. Like an iceberg, most of your veins lie beneath the surface.  The ones that you can see only carry about 10 percent of your blood on its journey to the heart. The other 90 percent of the blood runs far beneath the surface in your deep veins, and there are... Read More
Posted on August 10th, 2019
If you’ve been diagnosed with a problem in one of your heart valves, it may sound scary at first, but there are several treatment options available to repair or replace the valve. The experienced physicians at Oklahoma Heart Hospital can treat a wide range of heart valve issues, including heart valve replacement.... Read More
Posted on August 1st, 2019
If you’re having symptoms of a potential heart rhythm issue or other heart problem, you will likely be asked to wear a Holter monitor at some point. The device is about the size of a small camera, and it’s one of the most important tools a doctor has available to find out what’s really happening with your heart. The portable device attaches to your skin with electrodes and measures the electrical... Read More
Posted on July 20th, 2019
Arteries are a key part of the circulatory system and are responsible for transporting oxygen-rich blood from your heart to your body. Over time, plaque can build up in the arteries and restrict blood flow, which increases the risk of stroke and can cause other problems in the cardiovascular system.  One procedure... Read More
Posted on July 10th, 2019
Oklahoma Heart Hospital has once again received a five-star rating for both the North and South hospitals from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Compare. Fewer than eight percent of hospitals receive the top rating of five stars from CMS, and OHH is proud of the hard work and dedication demonstrated to receive this top rating.  “We’re honored to once again receive... Read More
Posted on July 1st, 2019
Timing is everything—especially for your heart. Your heart is a finely tuned instrument responsible for keeping you alive. It beats according to a very specific timing, and that timing keeps your body running smoothly. But what happens when the timing gets off? When the timing in the bottom chambers of the heart is off, it’s called a ventricular arrhythmia, and there are several different types.... Read More
Posted on June 20th, 2019
Your heart and hyperthyroidism are closely tied together. If you’re dealing with Graves’ disease or another condition that leads to hyperthyroidism, your heart is at risk too.  First, what exactly is hyperthyroidism? It’s an overactive thyroid gland that produces too much of the hormone thyroxine. That causes a variety of... Read More
Posted on June 10th, 2019
Is aspirin really helping your heart? Many people who want to reduce their risk of heart disease or stroke lean on over-the-counter aspirin to keep their heart in good working order. It’s an inexpensive medication, doesn’t require a prescription and you’ve heard it may help reduce your risk of heart attack. But it’s not quite that simple, so don’t start taking low-dose aspirin without talking to... Read More