3 vs. 7
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. There are many known heart disease risk factors. Some risk factors can be controlled, but others cannot.
Heart disease risk factors you cannot control (3):
- Family history
Heart disease risk factors you can control (7):
- Smoking – quit it
- Inactivity – move it
- Obesity – lose it
- Diabetes – avoid it
- Cholesterol – lower it
- Hypertension – control it
- Stress – deal with it
Because so many of the risk factors for heart disease are within a person’s ability to control or influence, it benefits all of us to learn and practice a heart-healthy lifestyle.
Eight ways exercise can help a heart
- Reduces your risk of developing heart disease and can help prevent existing heart disease from getting worse
- Lowers your risk of developing high blood pressure
- Lowers blood pressure in some people who have high blood pressure
- Raises your high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good" cholesterol
- Lowers your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad" cholesterol
- Lowers the amount of triglycerides, a form of fat, in your bloodstream
- Helps you lose extra weight, which can strain your heart
- Makes your heart and lungs work more efficiently
Learn more about the benefits of exercise
Here's how to have a heart healthy workout
Local Wellness Centers in Oklahoma City
Get started today on a healthy heart lifestyle. Consider joining a fitness center in your area or take a look at our Cardiovascular Rehabilitation Program.
Cardiovascular Rehabilitation At OHH
Cardiac rehab is a professionally supervised program to help people recover from heart attacks, heart surgery and percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) procedures such as stenting and angioplasty. Cardiac rehab programs provide education and counseling services to help heart patients increase physical fitness, reduce cardiac symptoms, improve health and reduce the risk of future heart problems, including heart attacks.
Would seeing a Nutritionist Help?
For established patients of OHH Physicians, nutritionists are available for those who have any of the following conditions:
- High cholesterol
- Kidney disease
To schedule a session with a Nutritionist
OHH North Campus
OHH South Campus